Day 1 – Welcome to Manaus
You’ll be greeted upon arrival and escorted by private car to the comfortable Tropical Hotel, set against a lush rain forest backdrop here in the historic river port of Manaus. The rest of this day is yours to relax as you wish or to explore this vibrant town on your own.
Day 2 – Into the Amazon
After an early breakfast, embark with your private car and driver on a scenic 3-hour journey deep into Brazil’s Amazon jungle. Your destination is the Anavilhanas Jungle Lodge. With only 20 spacious guestrooms, each with a private balcony and inviting hammock, our intimate lodge is the perfect base for exploring and experiencing the myriad natural wonders of the Amazonian rain forest, including the waterways that feed the Rio Negro and adjacent Anavilhanas National Park.
Upon arrival, settle into your accommodations and then meet with the Lodge’s experienced naturalists to plan your activities for the next two days. Based upon your interests, spirit of adventure and local conditions, you will be able to choose from a variety of included naturalist-guided excursions:
- Pink River Dolphins and Novo Airão: Enjoy a guided walk through the forest to the Lodge’s river deck, ideally situated to observe the wild river dolphins that congregate in these waters. In the nearby village of Novo Airão, you’ll have a chance to meet with local artisans in the simple shops where they display and sell their products, handmade from indigenous rainforest materials.
- Nature Hike: This expertly-guided 2.5 hour hike takes you deep into the Amazon jungle to learn about the mysteries of the rainforest, including the medicinal uses of a wide variety of indigenous plants and herbs.
- Night Safari: This thrilling safari in a motorized canoe offers the unique opportunity to experience the nocturnal life of the Amazon. With luck and sharp eyes, you might espy some of the creatures that are active when the sun goes down including several species of birds and snakes, sloths, and caimans.
As conditions permit, you can expect to enjoy afternoon and evening activities here on your first day at the Lodge. Meals B,L,D
Day 3 – Exploring the Rainforest
Continue your exploration of the rainforest with included expeditions accompanied by our expert naturalists. In addition to the choices above and based upon today’s conditions, you might join morning, afternoon and evening activities:
- Sunrise over the Amazon: Head out in canoes very early in the morning as the Amazon is coming to life with the first rays of the sun. It’s a terrific time to see birds in flight and to hear the awakening sounds of the jungle.
- Piranha Fishing: A guided fishing expedition is a terrific way to learn more about the creatures that inhabit the Rio Negro and waterways of Anavilhanas.
- Anavilhanas Archipelago: Embark on a guided boat tour of the channels, lakes and islands that comprise the world’s largest freshwater archipelago.
Day 4 – Back to Manaus
Depending upon your flight schedule, there might be time this morning for another guided jungle activity. At the appropriate time, you’ll transfer back to Manaus for your onward flight. Meals B