Luxury line implementing synchronized system for Covid19 mitigations
By Patti Pietschmann, Travel Diva
Like many cruise lines, Crystal Cruises is using the current cruise pause to enhance sanitizing and safety procedures.
It’s developing a synchronized system of protocols starting with the boarding process.
Game changing rules
Calling it Crystal Clean, the procedures include mandatory masks, temperature checks and other game-changing requirements for crew and passengers.
Mostly meant to mitigate against Covd19, the protocols will debut on Crystal Symphony and Serenity.
(The Serenity makes her first return to the sea in October with a series of Caribbean itineraries).
They refer to Crystal Clean+ protocols as “the 2.0 version.” They are actually an initial expansion of Crystal’s already stringent health and safety policies. The procedures follow the latest data from health experts to meet the unique challenges posed by COVID-19.
Crystal says they will continuously evaluate the protocols and be in compliance with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and global health measures.
How it works
- A reduction in number of passengers per cruise.
- New embarkation procedures.
- Social distancing.
- Mandatory face coverings.
- Health monitoring of passengers and crew.
- New testing and onboard medical resources.
- Shoreside partner collaborations and much more.
- On line check in and health questionnaire.
- Assigned arrival times to minimize congestion.
- Preboarding temperature checks.
- Second temperature checks at the gangway.
- Guests who show signs of illness must see the medical staff and may be denied boarding.
- Less seating in restaurants, entertainment venues, fitness centers, pool decks, casinos, retail spaces, bars and lounges.
- Social distancing.
- Fewer people in elevators.
- Frequent disinfection with medical-grade products listed on the EPA List N, and approved for use against COVID-19, norovirus and other infectious diseases.
- Recurrent disinfection of all guest accommodations utilizing medical-grade disinfectants
- Special sanitizing of all surfaces and public areas.
- Implementation of electrostatic foggers for disinfection.
- Additional hand sanitizing stations using alcohol-based sanitizers throughout the ship.
- Mandatory masks for crew and passengers..
- Compliance of mask wearing ashore.
Different dining style
- Open Seating Dining will continue with social distancing considerations.
- Disposable cutlery if passengers want.
- In-room dining choices be available 24/7.
- Contact-free dining service..
- The end of self-service options in the Marketplace, Bistro and other venues.
- Diligent hand washing and use of hand sanitizing stations.
Cleaner air and increases in ventilation
Crystal ships feature a 100% fresh air supply to all staterooms and main public spaces.
- Strict maintenance of all air filters and cooling coils.
- Isolation of guest accommodations and corridors in the event of illness by ventilation systems using separate ducting and air supply
- Disinfecting of tour coaches and tenders.
- A limit on passengers per shore excursion for social distancing.
- Monitoring of port regulations to adjust requirements and schedules.
- Visiting only safe, open ports of call; this may cause changes to the itinerary.
- Covid19 testing of crew.
Crystal’s onboard Medical Centers and professionals are at guests’ service 24/7.
- The medical team comprises a doctor and three nurses aboard each ship, available around the clock.
- Crystal’s Medical Centers equipment include ventilators, virus testing, X-Ray machines, first aid tools and common prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Point of Care testing available.
River, yacht and expedition vessels protocols in development
Crystal Clean+ protocols are currently in development for Crystal’s River, Yacht and Expedition vessels.
For complete details of the Crystal Clean+ protocols, click here.
About Crystal Cruises
Crystal Cruises redefines luxury with butler-manned Penthouse state rooms, exquisite cuisine and seamless service. The company operates river, ocean and expedition cruises. Fares include anything you drink (beer, wine, spirits etc), tips and WiFi.
A definitely different cruise experience awaits
Things will seem very different the next time you cruise. But Crystal will still provide an exemplary experience. After all this is one of the best cruise lines afloat.
For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a Pavlus travel advisor at 800-528-9300. ,