Follow the courses of the early Vikings
By Patti Pietschmann Travel Diva
“Vikings were Scandinavians. From the late 8th to late 11th centuries they raided and traded from their Northern European homelands across Europe,and westwards to Iceland, Greenland, and Finland.”
Currently Viking is a premium cruise line with six ships. But come 2021 the 930-passenger Viking Venus® joins the fleet. And much like the early Vikings she will explore Scandinavia and Northern Europe.
Says Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking, “ We have always drawn inspiration from the original Viking explorers. Many elements of our ships honor Viking explorers.”
Viking covers the Med with new itineraries
The premium class line is expanding itineraries the Mediterranean with five new options:
- An 8-day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures between Athens and Istanbul, with overnight stays in both.
- The 15-day Ancient Adriatic Treasures,which sails between Venice and Istanbul.
- Another 15-day options called Ancient Mediterranean Antiquities, which sails between Rome and Istanbul.
- A longer 22-day Iconic Mediterranean Treasures, which sails between Barcelona and Istanbul.
- Lastly, a 29-day Mediterranean’s Iconic Shores sails between Barcelona and Istanbul with stops in Montenegro and Croatia.
In April 2021 the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Sky®, will explore a new Ancient Mediterranean Treasures itinerary. The adventure goes to Troy (Çanakkale), Ephesus (Kuşadasi) Turkey and Athens, Rhodes and Heraklion, Greece.
A definite distinction from other cruise line
Not your behemoth party boats, Viking’s fleet caters to a more cerebral clientele. Most of its passengers are explorers and aficionados of art, history, music and cuisine.
Small ships plus lots of amenities
Viking fans favor it for its intimate sizes and abundance of alfresco dining and amenities such as free WiFi. Additionally free beer and wine come with lunch and dinner. Passengers get one complimentary shore excursion in each port. And, there is no charge for alternative restaurants.
This is a Viking Cruises photo of Viking Venus under construction.